Joan Gamell, Web Engineer Singapore
Computer engineer fascinated by the web, specially by the front-end development. Has a deep knowledge of the several web layers and the interaction between all of them. Capable of shipping creative and optimal solutions according to the requirements. Firm believer in Clean Code and Agile methodologies.
Front-end Engineer at Expedia in Singapore, October 2012 - today
Currently working on the AirAsiaGo e-commerce website as the main Front-end web developer. My biggest achievements on this role have been:
- Optimization of page load-time through minification, selective loading, changes in front-end architecture, usage of subdomain-per-asset CDNs, sprite and image compression, etc.
- Improve the team’s procedures and best practices regarding front-end by curating and documenting the team best practices and guiding my teammates through them.
- Improve the project’s front-end maintainability and productivity by introducing LESS and AngularJS amongst others.
- Improve SEO of the website by using meta tags, canonical URLs, robots.txt, redirections, multiple locale management, sitemap.xml, monitor the site on Google Webmasters Tools & Analytics
- Help implement the attribution scheme for our affiliates (from end logic).
- Identify, debug and fix live-site issues (Splunk, Nagios, AWS monitoring, Google Analytics, etc.)
All the above while embracing Agile development methodology, continuous deployments (Dev-Ops) and following the Clean Code ethos to improve code structure and architecture to make it more modular, scalable and maintainable.
Tech Lead at Standard Chartered Bank in Singapore, June 2012 - October 2012
Lead a team of 5 developers working on the front-end interface of RMWB (Relation Manager WorkBench) project for Standard Chartered Bank.
My team responsibility was to design and develop anything related to the user interaction (UX), design and front-end programming of the web application. My main responsibilities were:
- Hands-on technical design of new features given the business requirements.
- Supervise implementation and Quality Control.
- Feature planning and Bug tracking (JIRA).
- Be the point of contact for any communication related to my team.
Sr. Web Developer at Optimum Solutions in Singapore, January 2012 - June 2012
Worked on the RMWB (Relation Manager WorkBench) project for Standard Chartered Bank. My main contributions in this role where:
- Conduct technical interviews for Web Developer / Web Designers roles.
Analyst at Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria in Madrid, September 2010 - December 2011
Worked on the Mentor project at Wholesale Banking & Asset Management, Global Risk Unit. Mentor was a web-based project to integrate, unify, organize and report all the unit’s risk data from diverse systems with very divergent data outputs.
My main achievements in this role were:
- Help design and code the system’s foundations and initial setup from scratch (Maven config files, project file structure, initial setup).
- Coding of a complex parser for a legacy system output (Algorithmics) making exhaustive use of Regular Expressions to translate the output to comprehensive, coherent JPA models.
- Drive and oversee the front-end development and ensure best practices were followed.
Developer at Safelayer Secure Communications in Barcelona, February 2009 - September 2010
Invented, designed and implemented gOTP, a novel two-factor authentication system which combined the robustness of One Time Passwords and the easily-remembered Graphical Passwords. The project was initially developed as a joint R&D Final degree project at UPC (see below) and Safelayer company, to become a product of the latter.
The implementation had two aprts:
- iPhone Application as the client. Developed with Objective-C, Cocoa Touch Framework, Xcode.
- Grails (Groovy on Rails) application as the server. I used Groovy, Java, ant, Maven, SVN, MySQL, ExtJS (Sencha), Web Services.
Computer Engineering, 2004-2009 at Barcelona School of Informatics (FIB), Technical University of Catalonia (UPC) in Barcelona (Spain)
Degree + MSC. Graduated with Honors in the final Degree project "A Secure Authentication System via OTP and Graphical Password"
- Startup Engineering, 2013 at Coursera (Stanford University)
- Spring Training, 2011 at SpringSource University
- iPhone Application Programming, 2009 at iTunesU (Stanford University)
- Introduction to Python, 2007 at Technical University of Catalonia (UPC)